Monday, May 19, 2014

Much to my chagrin, the Web 2.0 course requires the use and involvement of current technologies in our studies and "classroom" discussions. These technologies include the obvious (blogging), skype, public journal entries (that are not blogs), twitter, etc. Although this is not new news, I still feel resistance to participating in all of these outlets.

I am fundamentally against entrenching my life in technology and social media. It would be silly to completely reject their validity and role in our society, but social media has stolen much of our ability to communicate face to face without interruptions. Almost every single table that I waited, during my short stint as a waitress, had at least one person on their phone at some point during the meal. When was the last time you had a conversation that lasted longer than 5 minutes without checking your phone? We've lost the ability to deal with the awkward silences. Instead of filling that time with moving conversation people pull their phones out to see what others are doing instead. There's a level of depth that is then lost in conversation when you don't devote your attention to the person/people at hand.

This all goes to prove how powerful Web 2.0 is and how deeply involved it is in the general populace's life.

Thoughts? Am I alone in the fight against getting absorbed into the mass collective that is Web 2.0? We might be calling ourselves the Borg all too soon...


5 comments:

  1. I too, have been feeling somewhat uncomfortable about putting myself out there online. i FINALLY relented and got a Twitter account, due to this class, and posting a blog entry is a lot less fun for me than reading others' entries. Nevertheless, I'm trying to stay positive and absorb all there is to gain from fully understanding these technologies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely not alone. It is hard for me to be constantly checking twitter and the blogs out there. I prefer to go out and enjoy the day as much as I can. Although I do think technology is great for keeping up with friends and family, I don't let it rule my life. It seems as though most people are letting that happen to them. They are forgetting about the simple pleasures in life. Every time I go out to eat, all I see are people on their phones or tablets. It's hard to see people having an actual conversation w/out technology being in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post! I guess I can agree, that perhaps we do partake in technology more than we should sometimes... but I think you can find a pretty good balance. I work out, bike ride, and dine out with my spouse 5-6 times a week with no phone around. I have breakfast dates with two dear friends every week, no devices necessary... I visit with my siblings' kids on a regular basis, again, this is hands-on playtime, not techno time! Honestly, I find myself spending time on devices when I'm alone more than any other time. Usually this is when I am working, doing personal projects, or going to school!

    I suppose since this course is focused on web 2.0-based learning and performance, we are going to learn the most by jumping in, huh?! This is outside of my prior comfort zone, that's for sure :) But that is something I have noticed about grad school; the scarier things look on day one of the class, the more impressed you are with yourself at the end of the semester! And so many times I have had to figure out the details as I go... Here's to a great class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep in mind, folks, that you're in control here! You can use the technology and not let it rule your life. Maybe I'll do a post on that. (Oh, and I can't stand it when people check their phones while dining with others -- ugh!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post struck a chord with me when you say we've lost the ability to deal with awkward silences. For me, it's not so much when I am in the company of others, but rather when I am by myself waiting on something (waiting for a meeting, waiting for the elevator doors to open, waiting for the dog to go). I can't help but check my phone in these moments, and as of late I've realized it and had to consciously tell myself that it is OK to enjoy the peace and quiet for a moment. The fact that I actually had to talk to myself about not checking the phone and instead acting like a human is making me challenge myself to do this more often. I hate to think that I've become a Borg!

    ReplyDelete