Sunday, June 15, 2014

Technological Overload

Life was all great and dandy with MySpace, then Facebook, then StumbleUpon, then Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter. Through my Web2.0 course I have discovered that the list does not stop there. Social media stems far beyond what I would call the "main stream" web sites and apps to include a wide variety of web sites that allow you to blog (there are many), track your twitter success, storify.com which "Makes the web tell a story" with your information, Delicious.com which allows you to store your links and never loose them (but I thought that was what the favorite's tab was for), Diigo.com allows you to annotate your reading and save it online. The list goes on. After discovering these I realize that I do indeed have a small Personal Learning Network and there's no way I can keep up with all of these different site options without quitting my job and doing it full time!

How often does the average person use all of these pages? At once (that's absurd)? Which one are most  useful to you ?

4 comments:

  1. Most people only use the tools that they have a reason to use. But you kind of have to try various tools to find the ones that work best for you. :)

    So: which do you like best so far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sympathize with you, my fellow sufferer of overload. I can't seem to get through it all. So to answer Dr. D's question, I usually flip a coin or visit a few and choose the one that looks the least complicated.
    Let's keep being thankful we have an instructor who is so knowledgeable and who is introducing us to so much life on the web :) As for quitting your job and doing this f.t. - only if you don't care about eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, btw, I'm having a hard time tweeting the URL to my story so, in your spare time, please take a quick look and let me know what you think. Thanks.
    https://storify.com/juvibug/how-about-that-medical-marijuana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, for one, have been exploring many of the tools you've referred to, and I'm starting to figure out which ones work best for my needs, and which ones are not quite doing it for me. There are SO many, though, that it could be a full-time job just figuring it all out. Have fun exploring!

    ReplyDelete